Courtesy Photo 
Former Makindye West legislator Hussein Kyanjo has passed away, according to early reports on Saturday. At the time of reporting, his body was at Kibuli Hospital, where he is said to have died.  
Kyanjo was a prominent member of the opposition Justice Forum (JEEMA) party and was known for his outspoken nature. In 2011, he fell ill and believed that he had been poisoned, as he mentioned in an interview with a publication. As his condition deteriorated, Kyanjo could only speak for a limited time, typically less than 5 minutes.
Kyanjo was recognized for his legislative excellence and was considered a unifying force and a leader of integrity. His passing has been met with condolences from individuals and groups, expressing sympathies to his family, friends, and the people of Makindye West, Kampala, and Uganda as a whole. The phrase "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un!" is often used as a standard expression of sympathy within the Muslim community.
As of 11 am (EAT), Kyanjo's body remained at Kibuli Muslim Hospital, where he is reported to have passed away. The planned burial was scheduled for Saturday in Ntuuma, Bukomansimbi District, but is pending family approval.
Reflecting on Kyanjo's condition prior to his passing, it was evident that he struggled with strained gaze and laborious speech. Holding a conversation with him for more than half an hour, let alone an hour, felt challenging due to the effort required on his part. 
Despite this, he remained composed and did not complain. Interestingly, the man sitting in his office in Parliament's East Wing, Room 308, appeared starkly different from the smiling portrait in the far corner of the room.
Kyanjo, who served as the shadow minister in charge of the Presidency, was once considered one of the brightest figures in the 9th Parliament. 
His political career was shaped during the 8th Parliament, where he gained experience through banned open-air live broadcast radio debates known as Bimeeza. Over the years, he emerged as one of Uganda's finest and most hard-hitting legislators.
Kyanjo, the sole Member of Parliament representing the Justice Forum Party (JEEMA) in the Ugandan Parliament, was known for his fierce opposition stance and his serious approach to legislative issues. Despite his humility, he was unwavering in his principles. 
In an interview, he revealed that he attributed his success as a knowledgeable legislator to his avid reading habits. He emphasized the importance of reading extensively to grasp the vast amount of material available in Parliament.
However, Kyanjo's ability to speak suddenly deteriorated while on a parliamentary trip to Johannesburg, South Africa in early 2011. Initially, he noticed a strange sensation in his tongue and struggled to articulate his words. 
Believing it to be a minor issue, he expected it to resolve itself upon his return to Uganda. Unfortunately, consulting a doctor upon his return did not yield a diagnosis. He suspected that a dental problem might be the cause, but this was ruled out during a check-up.
It was only when he sought medical attention at an Iranian-owned hospital in Dubai that he was diagnosed with a rare and stubborn disease called dystonia. 
Dystonia is a neurological condition characterized by involuntary muscle contractions that cause twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal postures. The doctors informed him that the disease is resistant to medication and can significantly disrupt the lives of those affected. 
While he was prescribed some drugs, he was also referred to a hospital in London for further treatment with the hope of improving his condition.
Upon my return, I approached the Speaker and shared my difficult experience with her. She was understanding and granted me permission to seek treatment at the University Hospital of London.
Thankfully, Parliament agreed to sponsor my medical expenses for the past two and a half years. As a result, I have had to travel to London every three months for toxin injections on my lower jaw to maintain muscle function.
Doctors have informed me that there are three possible causes for my condition: a hereditary disease, the aftermath of a serious accident, or poisoning. 
I ruled out hereditary factors as no one in my family has ever suffered from such a disease. Additionally, I have never been involved in any accidents. Consequently, I concluded that poisoning is the most likely cause.
During an episode, I struggle to prevent myself from swallowing my tongue. It is a challenging and distressing experience.
Despite the difficulties, the treatment has allowed me to resume my work, and we conducted this interview in my Parliament office. Immediately after, I proceeded to a committee meeting. 
Although visibly weakened from two years of incapacity, I am grateful to be functioning again. I believe I ingested the poison in Kampala, but I cannot pinpoint the exact source or motive before my trip to South Africa.
I suspect a political motive behind the incident, particularly as it followed my prominent involvement in the oil bribery scandal that rocked Parliament in early 2011. Supporters and admirers had previously warned me to be cautious about what and where I ate, but I did not take it seriously, assuming that I did not have enemies who would want to harm me.
However, I now take precautions and carry my own food wherever I go. Determining a motive can be challenging, and it is important to avoid baseless speculations. Nevertheless, instances of such claims are not uncommon in Parliament.

Rest in Peace Hon. Hussein Kyanjo